Get Rid Of Mould
Millions of people know all too well the musty, musky smell of mould in their home.
It may lurk in a wardrobe or dark corner, or run rampant in a ceiling space, wall cavity or wet area.
Heavy rain and floods can see a big upsurge in infestation but the good news is that mould is pretty easy to fix and small spots can be sorted out DIY using regular bleach or a simple mould remover product.
Large or persistent patches need commercial treatment.
‘The best way to identify mould or damp is to look for it in suspect places such as bathrooms and laundries.
‘Also check out the southern aspect internal walls that get no sun, looking in corners, ceiling cornices and wardrobes,’ says Steve Burke from Sydney company Mould Removal.
He says the first sign is a stale, damp smell then mould may show up on leather items such as shoes and jackets.
With a professional consultation the quote is free and a mould treatment for an uncomplicated mouldy bathroom starts at about $140, says Steve.
An observational assessment and report costing about another $140 may be recommended, depending on the extent and source of the problem, says Steve.
‘The treatment we use is a special concentrated disinfectant applied with a brush that kills all mould. To stop it coming back though you need to find the source.
‘If a bathroom is windowless, ceiling fans need to be left on for an hour after having showers or baths, as just turning them on during doesn’t do much.
‘Water needs to be wiped off floors and walls after showers.
‘If the mould source is something else like a leaking tap or pipe in a wall, then it needs to be repaired.’