What happens when DIY goes wrong?
Find out in this article where we list 20 DIY mishaps made by fellow Handyman readers.
These tales of woe are hilarious but also serve as a caution to us all.
When comes to DIY don’t take shortcuts and pay attention to detail!
If you have a DIY disaster story be sure to share it with us on our Facebook page.
We’d love to hear from you.
1. My dog got stuck in the strangest place
Due to an insurance inspection, I had to finish building our back deck and steps fast.
It was raining, so I cut the timber under cover of the front verandah and carried the pieces into the backyard to install.
Our dachshund, Beavis, was very interested in the excavation and spent the day digging there.
When the last board was in place, he was nowhere to be found.
Then I heard whining under the steps and realised what I’d done. His exploring had led him under the porch.
And removing one board wasn’t enough, I had to take up several and crawl in to fetch him.
2. We fenced the car in
My sister and brother-in-law recently bought a new house and the only thing that was missing was a backyard fence for the dogs.
The first weekend, we put in the fence posts and the next weekend, we hired a guy with a ute to help haul the preassembled panels from the store to the yard.
He drove the ute into the centre of the yard to save on carrying materials. And finally, after a long day turned into evening, we were admiring the finished job.
We then looked at each other and immediately realised our mistake. We’d fenced in the ute.
3. The drill bit went off course
I was sitting on the couch knitting and my husband was working in our basement. He was using a 1.8m long flexible bit to drill holes through the floor joists in the finished ceiling so he could fish wire through to install recessed lights.
I suddenly felt the couch vibrate. It went on for a few seconds and then stopped. My husband ran into the room, stared at the couch and said in a very quiet voice, ‘Oops, there’s a problem.’
I peeked over the couch and saw the drill bit sticking out of the side. It had hit a vent and gone off course.
My husband finished the job, and the new lights look great, and so does our new couch.